Saturday, November 6, 2010

Response To "Sharing: The Moral Imperative"

It's 1:30 pm on a Saturday and I've just finished watching the video "Sharing:  The Moral Imperative."  Those of you reading this that are on Twitter and have a widespread PLN have probably already viewed this video.  If you haven't, I encourage you to take 25 minutes out of your busy schedule to watch it: http://dotsub.com/view/027a4da1-8be2-4ea7-85e9-2e3be140db1a .  This video came out a few months ago as part of an online conference.  It took me 2 months to make the time to watch it - how can I get my staff to?

Sharing is an important part of how we can enhance best practices and good teaching.  Since becoming principal I have encouraged and supported it.  One of the most talented teachers I know, Krissy Venosdale,  took it upon herself to create a moodle for our school so that teachers can share great examples of lessons to do in the classroom.  When the moodle was established I envisioned great things happening and that teachers would line up to add things onto the site for others to see.  Instead, after 4 years, I have to challenge, bribe, and spoon feed some staff to access and post on this great site: http://greatdaytolearn.com/hillsboroelementary/.  What is the reluctance?  Why isn't it happening?

I've asked staff about it.  Responses vary:  "We share - there is a bulletin board in the copy room and things are posted there."  "I email all of the teachers if I find a great site."  "I don't have time."  "I don't like the moodle."  "I can never remember my password."  "I don't know how to post on the moodle."

As I hear these responses I try to help:  I have had training on the moodle, people can access their passwords through Krissy or myself, we have written directions on how to  use the moodle.  Still, four years later, I have to pull teeth to get anything posted.  What am I doing wrong?

After watching the video, I've discovered that it isn't just time that is keeping teachers from sharing.  Dean Shareski was right when he stated that it is a moral imperative to share.  Some of my teachers don't believe that.  In their mind they might agree, but I don't think it is in their soul.  I haven't done enough to convince them why it is important to share.  I need to make sure they understand that times have changed.  They've heard my words but haven't felt them in their soul...............

It is my goal that I will find a way to get them to understand that we must be sharing online and that I'm not talking about sharing a worksheet.  They need to feel as connected to the outside world as their students do.  That is my moral imperative.   Thanks Dean Shareski for helping me find my way and giving me inspiration to help others find their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment