Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thinking About Assessment

Lately I have been thinking about assessment. Traditionally, teachers have given tests because they need grades to put in their grade book. Nowadays, we are much smarter. We know that the true purpose of assessment is to see which student has learned a specific objective, to see their level of performance. When I ask my teachers what the purpose of assessment is, they can give me some great answers, ones that make sense. But, as I look around my school, I see some problems. We can tell you what the purpose of assessment is, but do we practice what we preach?

I have been talking to my teachers about this subject. Some teachers say that they help students with their assessments if the child is struggling. Some say that they do not help because if they do, it will not be a true indication of what the child knows. Some teachers make assessments that do not assess with the rigor of state tests. Authentic assessment, portfolios - What it comes down to is this: all of my teachers have a different viewpoint and they all think they are right. They all think that they know what is best for children. No wonder I am crazy!

As a 3 year principal I have been working on creating a collaborative learning environment for students and staff. Many are on board, some are not. To create this learning environment, some changes have had to be made. I have enlisted the help of some great people and created a leadership team. All staff are welcome to join and voice their opinion. This month's topic is assessment. How can we come up with some guidelines that will ensure high rigor, assessments given with fidelity, but will not stifle creativity and freedom for the teachers? And, how can I get that buy in from those nay-sayers that are resisting the change, those that want to close their door and not let anyone in?

These are the struggles that are ahead..........wish me luck. I'll get by with a little help from my friends (haven't I heard that somewhere before?).

No comments:

Post a Comment